About Pastor Steven
Steven R. OwensbyPastor, Morningside Baptist Church 897 South Pine Street (864)585-5457 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Birth date: July 1, 1980 in Spartanburg, SC
- Baptized: October 30, 1994 at Mon-Aetna Baptist Church in Union, SC
- Accepted Call to Ministry: September, 1997
- Married to Caroline Elizabeth Peeler: May 19, 2001
- Ordained and Licensed: March 3, 2002 at Lockhart First Baptist Church
- Robert Aaron Owensby – January 30, 2005
- Rachel Caroline Owensby – May 4, 2007
- Roslyn Elizabeth Owensby – September 17, 2008
- Rebekah Marion Owensby – July 10, 2012
Personal Mission & Vision
- Mission: My mission is to let the Shepherd to lead me away from fear & foolishness to proclaim His Word with power, love and self-control.
- Vision: I proclaim the full counsel of God in the Scriptures so that people can let the Shepherd lead them.
- Pursuing Doctor of Ministry in Biblical Counseling – Anticipate completion: 2017. Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Wake Forest, NC.
- Pursuing Certification in Biblical Counseling – Anticipate completion: 2017. Association of Certified Biblical Counselors.
- Biblical Counseling Training – 2012. Redeemer Biblical Counseling Training Institute, Moore, SC.
- Master of Divinity in Pastoral Ministry and Biblical Languages – 2009. Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Wake Forest, NC.
- Bachelor of Arts in Technical Theatre; Minor in Philosophy and Religion – 2001. Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC.
- SC High School Diploma – 1998. Union Comprehensive High School, Union, SC.
- Senior Pastor. July 2016 – Present. Morningside Baptist Church, Spartanburg, SC.
- Pastor. September 2007 – July 2016. Enoree First Baptist Church, Enoree, SC
- Youth and Children’s Minister. June 2003 – August 2007. Trinity Baptist Church, Monroe, NC
- Youth and Children’s Minister. April 2002 – May 2003. Hillcrest Baptist Church, York, SC
- Youth and Children’s Minister. (Part-Time) June 1999 – Mar 2002. Lockhart First Baptist Church, Lockhart, SC
- Summer Missionary. May – August 1998, 1999. Union County Baptist Association, Union County, SC.
Ministry Related Service
- Executive Board, SC Baptist Convention. 2010 – 2014. Serving on the Planning and Ministry Sub-Committee; Chairman of the Nominating Committee 2013-14; Secretary of the Executive Board 2014
- Appointed President of Woodruff Baptist Association Pastor’s Meeting. 2011 – 2013.
- Messenger to SCBC Annual Meeting. – 2007, 2009-2013
- Messenger to SBC Annual Meeting. – 2010-2011, 2013
- Mission Projects Served Upon Since Conversion – One International Team; Nine State-Side Teams; Numerous Local Projects
- Together for the Gospel – 2010, 2012, 2016
- 9Marks Weekender – 2011
- Visiting Instructor at Redeemer Biblical Counseling Training Institute – since 2014.
- Revival Engagements Since Beginning to Pastor – Three in Upstate and NC
- Speaker at Union Rotary Club’s Scholar’s Day – May 2012
- Speaker at Woodruff Men’s Community Prayer Breakfast – January 2012
- Preacher for the Woodruff Community Revival – 2008
- Preacher for the Woodruff Associational Thanksgiving Service – 2010
Letters to the Editor, Articles, Etc.
- “Depression Results from Sin.” Letters to the Editor. Baptist Courier – February 1, 2010. Despite the byline that was chosen, the intention of this article was to argue for a holistic approach to battling depression.
- “Don’t Under-Spiritualize.” Letter to the Editor. Baptist Courier – March 1, 2010. I wrote this article after so many took offense to my first article. The negative response to these articles played a major role in my decision to further my Biblical Counseling Training.
- “GCRTF Viewpoint: What is Our Passion – Cooperation or Commission?” Article. Baptist Courier – May 21, 2010. In this article I was arguing for the need for SBC churches to allow the the Great Commission to guide our cooperation.