Originally Preached 06/17/18 (Father’s Day)
- Today, we begin a new series for the summer, focusing on where we are going as God’s people.
- When I think about the summer, I think about our family trips with my Daddy.
- During the school year, we could not travel with my Daddy as he went all over examining banks.
- But during the summers, we had all sorts of opportunity to travel with him.
- As soon as we loaded up in our blue Astro van, we knew that Daddy would get us where we were going, Daddy would have us a reservation at a cool hotel, and during the trip Daddy would take us somewhere special.
- Mama did all the packing, and took care of us while he worked, but when Daddy work was over, we could have fun.
- I remember one very special trip to Atlanta right at the end of June. After Daddy worked through the week, we went to Six Flags for my birthday. Right around the time of my birth, in line for a ride, Daddy made a big deal of letting me know that I was now a year older.
- It never seemed to matter exactly where we were going.
- The joy was being on the road again, with Daddy driving, and Mama reading us a book as we drove; with the excitement and anticipation of being on a new journey.
- As a child, it was the absolute freedom of trusting that even though I did not know where we were going or what to expect, that Daddy and Mama would take care of everything.
- Now as the Daddy who gets to take my children on summer adventures, I realize that my joy is not the same as it was as a child.
- After all, someone has to make the reservations, deal with traffic and road construction, and find the cool attractions.
- But there is still a joy in taking these journeys and making these memories as a family.
- What about you? Are you going anywhere this summer?
- No, I am not asking for your vacation plans.
- I am asking if you are ready to trust your heavenly Father to take you on a journey.
- Without knowing exactly where you are going, or what to expect, can you trust that God in Christ has taken care of everything?
- Friends that is exactly the description of our life in Christ, but my question for you is, are you living that life?
- Perhaps you are worried that you have to make the arrangements or deal with the stresses of a journey like a parent must.
- Let me assure you, today, that our heavenly Father has made all the arrangements for you.
- Today, I hope to share with you one of the greatest obstacles to beginning the journey God has for you and the way that you can know for sure that you have overcome that obstacle.