- Paul says four times in the span of these eleven verses that he is sending someone to the Philippians (2:19,23,25,28).
- Such mentions of sending associates normally occur at the end of an epistle like Romans 16:1-2.
- When we see a word like send four times in such a small passage and it should make us ask why does Paul need to emphasize his desire to send so often.
- In fact the Latin word that we get our word missions from is translated as send. So think of this passage in that light. Why does Paul say four times that Phillipi needs a missionary?
- John Piper says in his famous book Let the Nations Be Glad “that missions exist because worship doesn’t.”
- Can I suggest to you that Paul seek to send these individuals because he knows that he worship of the Philippian church is hindered?
- If we genuinely believe that Christ deserves the worship of as many people as possible, then we are missional when we look for the places where Christ is not worshipped and send individuals to those places in order to give them every reason to worship Him.
- The Village Church which has become a leading church in Texas and the SBC explains their commitment to missional living by saying that their members should… (http://thevillagechurch.net/mediafiles/uploaded/a/0e1135869_article-what-does-missional-mean.pdf)
- Minister within the specific environment God has appointed them to live.
- Minister using the distinct skill and giftedness God has granted you by being God-centered in your vocation.
- Minister with radical purpose and intentionality, not for self but rather for the good of others and the glory of God.
- Minister with the expectation that a lay person’s ministry is just as valuable as that of a vocational minister.
- Minister to the whole person. We should meet physical needs as well as share the gospel to meet spiritual needs.
- Missional Living is seeking to be sent where people need a reason to worship Jesus Christ.
- This brings up an interesting question for us.
- If Paul is missional in trying to send individuals to Philippi, and missional living is trying to send believers into areas where people need a reason to worship Christ, are we missional?
- How often do we as members of this church value the joy there is in being sent into places where Christ needs to be worshipped?
- Today, as we look at Philippians 2:19-30 I hope to share with you three extremely important reasons that we should rejoice in being a missional church.